About 2:30 am I woke up to feel the effects of the castor oil, but by 3:30 I was in full force labor, with contractions consistently lasting for 1 min+, about 3 minutes apart. At 7:30 we called the hospital to say we were on our way and at 7:45 when we checked in I was at 5 cm and 80% effaced....and here is where I Fast Forward to 9:30 pm, 14 hours later...I was still 80% effaced and had been at 8 cm for the past 7 hours...and Olivia was still not descending into the birth canal. My OB was becoming very concerned that I was not at 100%, and was concerned that I would start hemmorhaging, so after 19 hours of 'natural' laboring we made the difficult decision to have a c-section. Culley has described it as one of the most surreal experiences of his life- it was so crazy to make that decision and within another 30 minutes or so...there she was! Healthy and fit as a fiddle, weighing in at 9 # 3 ounces and 21 inches in length. It turned out she was turned posterior and her head was also 'stuck' in my birth canal, so most likely things would have continued to go downhill had we not opted for the c-section. While I am bummed to not have had another completely natural birth (I know some of you are wondering this) ultimately what I feel and am clinging to is gratitude. Gratitude that we labored as long and as well as we did, gratitude to have had such a wonderful partner as Culley to help me through it and look out for me, gratitude for an OB that I would trust (and do!) with my children's well-being to the utmost, gratitude for modern medical capabilities when necessary,and gratitude for our healthy, precious new little girl, OLIVIA JANE ANNE. Our God is very good indeed!
meeting her big sister for the first time
meeting her big sister for the first time

Olivia at 5 days old- she already does not fit
into her newborn clothing!!!
Olivia at one week old
Olivia at 2 weeks old with her Daddy
She loves to play with her hands.
Olivia at one week old
Olivia at 2 weeks old with her Daddy
She loves to play with her hands.



3 comments:
She's beautiful! Can't wait to watch her grow up... especially with your great photography skill!
I NEED TO SEE THIS BABY AGAIN. SO YOU SHOULD ANSWER YOUR PHONE.
:)
She is so so precious!! Congratulations. I'm so thankful that you're both healthy and that you made it through such a difficult labor/delivery time. Praise the LORD that you had the c-section when you did! We're so happy for you guys and we welcome Olivia into this world!!
Post a Comment