
I have to admit, motherhood has far exceeded my expectations in many ways. While the idea of being a mother has always been appealing to me, the reality of it is a far different matter. Yes, there are sleepless nights that roll into early mornings, yes there are temper tantrums that feel like earthquakes, but there are also the chubby hugs, the funny sayings, the drawings of people with legs and heads and no bodies, the endless stories, the imagination, the laughter and love given with reckless abandon, no strings attached...except maybe the ones pulling at my heart. And then there is the first day of school. Awe, the first day of school (be still my beating heart).
Madeline has wanted to attend school for the past year and a half. Every few days she would ask "today can I go to school?" and we would say, "when you are three". So on her third birthday she says, "today I can go to school!" and we say...after summer passes. So, hail to the first day of school.
I had beautiful visions of 'the picture'. You know, the one in front of our house...the one that I will take each year as she changes and grows and our house changes and grows, and we will look at the pictures and sigh and wonder aloud 'how quickly time flies'. So where, you ask, is this first day of school picture? I DO NOT HAVE IT. Because another thing I have learned about motherhood- it never quite happens how you expect. And when you decide you want the classic 'first day of school picture' your child will decide, "today is a good day to run around and jump up and down and very decidedly NOT want your picture taken." On a plus note, she marched right up to her teacher, introduced herself and told me, "goodbye Mom, have a nice day". Sigh. Maybe next Tuesday I'll take another 'first day of school' picture...then 20 years from now we can laugh about how it was really a week late! Or.... maybe not.
Running to pick dandelions-look how big her back pack is on her! But her aunt and uncle bought it for her for Christmas, and ever since she has been saying she would use it when she started school...and she has not forgotten! (too bad the first day of school also coincided with garbage day in our neighborhood! Nice backdrop :) )

Madeline would sit still long enough to take a picture holding her baby sister.
4 comments:
My very favorite thing about first day of school pictures is the enormous backpacks. It doesn't get any cuter than that. I too tried to the get the quintessential first day photo with no luck. I got a mediocre one at school....the others she looked like a squinting turtle. LOL! Maybe next year...
By the way, I can't leave comments on your photography blog. Will you change the settings to allow Name/URL. Then I can leave some blog love for you. :)
Nana can't wait to share time with her special girls soon - counting the days. Papa says that Miss M needs "her Papa" to play with her.I actually believe it is the other way around - but we won't tell:) First day of school - brings back memories of you girls -squinting in the early morning sunlight with a big "teethy" grin, or some years "toothless" one. Love you much Mom
At least you will remember the day as it really was instead of a posed picture. Too bad all the garbage days of our life aren't filled with cute pigtails and blowing dandelions.
Wow! Time flies! What darling girls... and what a wonderful mom.
Post a Comment