Thursday, January 8, 2009

Here Comes the Sun...

and I say, it's all right... (there, a Beatle's title in honor of my friend, Erica!) For anyone reading my blog, living in the Northwest, or even just watching the news (yes, we have made national news), it will come as no surprise that the past weeks have been filled with enough snow for several white Christmas'. Despite a sense of stir crazy cabin fever, it cannot be denied that the snow has a magical, almost mystical beauty to it, and it is hard to completely grudge this blanket of white that we have nestled under. However, what has been driving me absolutely crazy is the lack of any sun or blue skies that we have experienced now for several days on end...it is as though we live cloaked in the whisping, swirling swag of dim vapor between the cool waters and the bright heavens, and unaware of either in our very grayness. But today....BLUE SKIES! And SUNSHINE! And if you, my east coast friends, heard a whoop that you could not quite place...it was probably me, your Northwest friend celebrating the dispersion of the gray. I could focus on the flooding we are experiencing, or the beautiful snow turned slushy black, but for today, I choose to breathe deep & revel in the reminder that winter is not forever.

2 comments:

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

See, we don't have it that bad. I mean I guess it may get to be -40 sometimes, but we do get a lot of sunshine :). Someone once told us that this is the second sunniest place in the world, following California.

Angela said...

That comment must have made you laugh- but it is true- the snow I can appreciate, but endless days of gray get weary pretty quick...not that I'm saying I'm ready to move to -40 weather!!!! ;)