Friday, January 23, 2009

Sometimes it is just an Icecream sort of Day

Yesterday was a good day- the house was clean, dinner was made, Madeline took a nap (not a guarantee these days) and so did I! Oh yes, and I was able to read some, just for the sake of reading! But I also went to visit a high school friend whose little 6 year old boy just had to have his eye removed from a horrible accident with a defunct laundry hamper. Liz is being so strong, and her sweet little boy is even tougher, but what an emotional roller coaster for a parent to be on! He was pretty uncomfortable, less I think from the surgery and more from the strong medications that were upsetting his tummy, and Liz was doing the one thing she could do- holding him and wrapping him in comfort. It is the type of situation any parent dreads, and it just made me so grateful that God has protected Madeline thus far in her short little life...especially with as busy and adventurous as my child is! Soon after my visit, Madeline and I dropped Culley off at church so that he could play some b-ball with 'the boys' and even though it was bedtime, even though it was 20 some degrees out, even though we are on a newly formed budget, I decided why not. We swung by Baskin Robbins and to Madeline's delight she tasted and chose a scoop of"chocolate oreo cookie" icecream. Really it was only half a scoop, since the rest was smeared across her sticky face! It just felt like we needed something to celebrate the good things in our life (although much to Madeline's initial chagrin, Mommy was not celebrating enough to swing for the icecream cake with sprinkles or the clown cone- it was, after all- past bedtime!)

1 comment:

Cha-Cha said...

Mmm, ice cream.

miss you <3